I tried my first homemade salsa and never went back. It’s easy to put together, so don’t shy away from the fresh taste that is so much better than that cooked bottled crap.
You can leave it chunky, or you can whirr it up in the food processor for a more “sauce” kinda consistency. Either way, it goes with just about everything. From traditional dishes like chips, tacos and so forth, to scrambled eggs, over oven-roasted chicken or fried fish, this stuff makes it special.
- 2 c diced tomatoes, fresh or canned (if canned, drain first, if fresh seed)
- 1/2 c finely diced onion (red or white)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, grated on a microplane or worked into a paste if you are using a knife.
- 1/2 chopped cilantro (must be fresh)
- 1-2 finally chopped jalapeñoes, seeded or not, depending on how much heat you want
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 lime juiced and zested
- 1 TBSP EVOO
- Mix it all together
- Let it stand for a couple of hours if you can, outside the fridge. I think it’s at its best at room temp.