What food for the gods is this?
Crab is expensive and thus this is not something you have all the time, but do have it once in a while.
Make sure that every ingredient is the best.
Make sure that all the surrounding sides are impeccably perfect.
Feast! You are worth it.
- 1 cup homemade mayonnaise.
- 2 tbsp minced cornichons (baby gerkins will work fine)
- 1 tbsp minced capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 lb crab meat (the best you can afford)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 4 tbsp fresh minced parsley
- 1 tbsp finely minced onion
- 4-6 tbsp fresh bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp butter
- Make your mayonnaise. (reserve 2 tbsp) Add the cornichons and capers to it. Mix and place in the fridge to keep until ready to serve.
- Lightly beat the egg, and add to it the crabmeat, reserved mayo and all the rest, except the breadcrumbs and butter. Mix gently.
- Form into patties.
- Roll in the breadcrumbs, patting gently to get them to adhere.
- Fry in the butter on medium, browning and then turning carefully. These are fragile, so handle with care. Brown both sides well, to make a nice crust. This will take 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with the tartar sauce.
SERVES: 4 (assuming 2 per person)
NOTES: This recipe comes from Serious Eats. I have modified it slightly
- Southwestern Crab Cakes with Green Chili-Lime Aioli, and Red Jalapeno-Honey Fried Corn (soulofachef1.wordpress.com)
- Old Bay Seasoning Crab Cakes (kindlecookbookrecipes.com)
- Crab Cakes! (ericasrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Maryland Crab Cakes (kimmiecats.wordpress.com)