There is hardly no bad chocolate except that cheap Easter bunny crap that tastes more like candles than food. Except for that, chocolate is great in all its permutations.
But I like rich chocolate.
I like dark chocolate
And I like coffee.
So what’s not to like here?
This turned out nicely all around. So do make it.
And then send me a piece okay?
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (16 oz), room temperature
- 3/4 cups demerara sugar (have no idea what that is, I used my regular sugar)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Ganache
- 4 tbsp butter
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan with butter then coat with a dusting of flour. Shake out excess flour and set aside.
- Chop the unsweetened chocolate into small bits and place in a small bowl with the cocoa. Pour boiling water over chocolate. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift the flours, baking soda, salt, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add demerara sugar, honey, and cream and mix for another 2-3 minutes. Scrape sides of mixing bowl. At medium-high speed, add eggs one at a time, mixing for about 30 seconds in between each addition. Scrape sides of bowl again, then add Greek yogurt and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- With the mixer on low-speed, add 1/2 of the flour, then add half of the chocolate mixture, and mix to combine. Repeat ending with the flour mixture. Be careful not to overbeat. Remove the bowl from the mixer, scrape sides and mix well by hand until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan, evening out the top of the batter. Bake on the middle rack for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven, rest in pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack to let cool completely.
- For the ganache: In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate together, stirring every minute or so until melted. Remove from heat and stir in brewed coffee, and vanilla. Sift the powdered sugar into the bowl and whisk well. Let cool to room temperature.
- Once cake is cooled, place on a cake platter and drizzle with ganache.
SERVES: 14 slices
SOURCE: The Haas Machine
NOTES: You can if you wish do this in a baking dish, like a 9 x 13. I would check it for doneness at 30-35 minutes. Be sure to really grease and flour the pan if you use the bundt pan or it will stick.