Moussaka is a favorite of mine and I’ve made several casseroles over the year, but this recipe is a good but quick substitute. It comes together quite fast, and tastes surprisingly good.
Great for a quick meal.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced.
- 1 1/4 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey jack or mozzarella cheese, grated
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Peel and cut eggplant into diced chunks about 1/2 inch each.
- Brown beef with garlic in skillet; drain.
- Add eggplant, tomato paste, water, oregano, salt, onion powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, and pepper.
- Cook about 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Combine milk and egg in small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in small saucepan. Add milk mixture. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until thickened
- Power white sauce over meat mixture. Top with cheese.
- Place skillet in oven about 6 inches from broiler and broil on high for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is browned. If you don’t want to turn oven on, you can cover the skillet and just cook until the cheese melts.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley on top if desired.
NOTES: You can make a traditional roux of flour and butter if you wish instead of the egg, but the carbs will be higher.
SOURCE: Low Carb Yum