Enjoy. Kid friendly.
- 1 lb leaner ground beef
- 4-6 slices bacon, diced and fried and drained on paper towels and set aside
- 1/2 of a large cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 fairly large onion, sliced or diced
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- Retain a tablespoon or so of the bacon grease and fry the onions until translucent and then reduce heat and saute until caramelized.
- Remove and add to the bacon set aside.
- Brown and cook thoroughly the beef, breaking it up into small crumbles. If there is noticeable grease from the cooking, drain off. Add to the onions and bacon.
- Place the chopped cabbage in a microwave safe bowl and cook until about half done.
- Place garlic in the pan and saute until fragrant, and turn out to the dish with meat and onions.
- Melt the butter in the pan and add the flour, making a roux. Cook for a minute or two.
- Then add all the cooked ingredients into the pan. Add the tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring up to a low boil just so the juices will thicken.
- Mix well and transfer to a baking dish. 8 x 11 should be fine.
- Bake in a 350° for 30-45 minutes depending on whether you do this immediately or set it all aside for final cooking later. Cook covered with foil.
- About 2/3 of the way through, remove and stir in the parsley and return to finish off the cooking.
NOTES: You can make this your own by adding chopped carrots or corn, or frankly anything else you like to the mix.
SOURCE: Sherry Peyton