Recognizing that not everyone shares my love, I look for recipes that provide additional interest.
This is one of them. It is just good. You will love it. So get on and buy some little bitty cabbages and get started.
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces and fried until crisp.
- 1 lb of brussels, cleaned and halved.
- 1 pkg of pearl onions, typically about 6-8 oz bags
- salt and pepper
- Remove the bacon from the pan and place on paper towelling to drain.
- Pour off all but about 2 tbsp of the bacon grease.
- Cut off the ends of the onions and place in a water. Bring to a soft boil and then remove and place under cold running water until cool enough to work with.
- Slice down the side of each onion carefully just one layer and peel off the outer leaf.
- Add the brussels and the onion to the pan with the bacon grease and saute gently until just tender.
- Remove to a serving dish, add salt and pepper and then the bacon.
NOTES: You really can’t peel the onions any other way. You could also steam them if you wish. It’s fine if they get a bit done since they will take longer than the brussels and you definitely don’t want to slice the pearls since they will just come apart. You might want to add a tbsp of lemon juice, orange, or lime juice.
SOURCE: Adapted from Applegate