There are tons of variations to this recipe and the basics are cream cheese, carrots, scallions, and red bell pepper, but there are lots of other things you can add to make it both your own, and vary it from time to time to suit your taste at the moment.
This is my version.
- 1 8 oz brick of cream cheese
- 1/4 c each of carrot, celery, red pepper, red onion, and patted-dry roasted pepper
- 1/2 of a roasted poblano or Hatch chile
- 2 scallions, including green parts
- 1 jalapeño or Serrano chile, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp of chopped chives (fresh)
- 1 tsp chopped dried dill or 1 tbsp fresh
- 1 clove garlic
- about 1/3 of a cup of green olives
- 1 tsp of olive juice
- Chop all veggies into a fairly small dice
- Place all in a food processor and whir until it is one lovely homogenous paste.
- Serve with crackers, bread or raw veggies.
SERVES: 1 generous cup
NOTES: Play with the ingredients as you like. Black olives, hotter chiles, other herbs, perhaps some sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. It all works.
SOURCE: Sherry Peyton