This is a delightful and easy recipe that can be used in more than one way.
Hope you like it.
- 1/2 cup packed coarsely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1/3 cup lime juice from about 6 limes
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (or chicken breast)
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes and separated into 3-layer segments
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes prior to use
- Place all the ingredients up to the chicken into a blender and whirr until smooth.
- Place chicken and the marinade in a plastic bag, seal and refrigerate for at least an hour and up to five.
- Arrange on skewers the chicken, sweet peppers and onion sections.
- Grill until meat is done and veggies are tender crisp.
NOTES: I served this with warmed flour tortillas and a “tomato salad of sliced cherry tomatoes, 2 chiles minced, 1/3 c chopped cilantro, salt, pepper, and about 1/8 c of olive oil, and slices of avocado. Made wonderful wraps. You could also serve on a bed of rice with any other sides you might like, such as a Mexican slaw.
SOURCE: Adapted from Serious Eats