It should be a staple in your kitchen because it is so versatile. It is magnificent over pound cake, angel food cake, or most any other cake you might have.
It makes a perfect complement to a dish of fresh fruit of most any kind.
It turns mundane into elegant in a tablespoon or two.
Did I mention that it was easy?
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2+1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine sugar, flour, and salt in a heavy medium sauce pot. Whisk in the milk and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until just hot.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until smooth. Add about 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture to the beaten eggs and stir vigorously.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture back into the sauce pot and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat, until the custard begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour the custard through a strainer (if you like) and into a small pitcher or gravy boat. Cool, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
SERVES: makes 3 cups
NOTES: Make it!!