I am also always on the lookout for new recipes that feature my tiny little cabbages, and I found this one, and I really liked it. It had lots of interesting flavors yet maintained the integrity of the “brusselly” flavor.
So do consider it for Christmas, New Year’s or Easter. You can do parts of this a day ahead and then it whips up quickly the day of. I changed the recipe only slightly to speed it up even more, and save precious oven space on a critical cooking day.
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts, quartered (stems and ragged outer leaves removed)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Chunk up your bacon slices. Place in a fry pan and fry until crispy. (You can do this a day ahead, but save the bacon grease)
- In a separate pan, toast your pecans (watch carefully), shaking the pan and remove when nuts become fragrant. (Can be done ahead also)
- Retain or add about 3 tbsp of bacon grease. When hot, add the sprouts and saute until just tender, letting them brown up nicely, stirring them as needed so that they become browned all over.
- Add the salt and pepper, vinegar and maple syrup and stir until all the sprouts are covered.
- Crumble up the bacon further if needed and add it and the pecans and stir lightly and serve right away.
NOTES: The recipe called for roasting the sprouts in the oven. Since I needed the space, I sautéed them instead. If you decide to do in the oven, put the cut up sprouts in a plastic bag, add 3 tbsp of olive oil and shake until coated. Pour out onto a parchment covered cookie sheet and roast in a 425° oven until done, about 20 minutes.
SOURCE: Serious Eats
- Brown Butter and Dill Brussels Sprouts (angiesgrapevine.wordpress.com)
- Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts (rooftoprecipes.wordpress.com)
- Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Dijon Vinaigrette (bacontoday.com)
- Brussels Sprouts with Sweet Potato and Bacon. (betterwithsprinklesblog.com)
- Recipe: Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts (lifehardcore.wordpress.com)