Well, so do I.
And I love chocolate.
So put them together and well, it’s a great little cookie.
Fair warning–there are your bendable soft cookie lovers and there are your crispy cookie lovers. Shortbread is a crispy cookie, think succulent grains of vanilla drenched sandy morsels kissed with chocolate. So if you want a wimpy cookie, look elsewhere! 🙂
And best yet, these come together in record time.
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons (6 ounces) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Place sugar, butter, salt and vanilla in a bowl and mix (standard mixer) until creamy and smooth.
- Add flour and cornstarch and continue until it comes together as a dough.
- Add the chips and mix just until distributed.
- Place the dough on a plastic wrap and form into a log about 2 inches in diameter. Roll up and twist ends to make a tight package.
- Place in fridge for at least 30 minutes, more like 60 minutes to let the butter really firm up again.
- Cut into 1/4 inch rounds and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in a 350° preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes until cookies start to firm up. Then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
SERVES: about a dozen
SOURCE: Adapted from Serious Eats
OVEN TEMP: 350°
OVEN TIME: 15-20 minutes