Silky smooth, deliciously mouth satisfying.
It pairs so well with apples it should be sinful.
The very first thing Eve did after biting into that apple, was declare, “Adam, some caramel sauce would be just perfect with these.”
And so it was.
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 c heavy cream
- 6 tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Assemble all the ingredients ready to go, because the process is fast once you get going.
- Place the sugar in a heavy-duty sauce pan and let it melt, stirring regularly.
- Stir until it is a golden color.
- Slowly pour in the cream. This will cause the sugar to seize up into a glob. Don’t worry, just continue stirring and it will melt back down quickly. Turn the heat down to medium and stir until the sugar is smoothed out and silky. This can take five minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and continue stirring until the butter has completely melted.
- Take off the heat, cool, and use as desired. Store in the fridge in a container.
SERVES: 1 1/2 cups of sauce
NOTES: works wonderfully on ice cream or over a banana cream pie for instance.
SOURCE: Serious Eats
- Vanilla Flan with Traditional Caramel Sauce (cutterlight.com)
- Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce (mochaandmoccasins.com)
- Bourbon Apple Cider Caramel Sauce (sweetswithsara.com)