I have a great way to make pot roast, and I have only changed it in a minor way by transferring the process to the slow cooker.
I don’t even claim that the process is easier, but on occasion it just might fit your daily routine better. People are less willing to leave an oven unattended for three hours than they are to leave a slow cooker plugged in unattended for eight. I’m not sure why one is safer than the other, but the slow cooker was invented in part so that people could start dinner at breakfast, go to work and return to a ready meal.
This makes every bit as good a pot roast as my signature dish, and it gives a lot more broth for use in the gravy making which is a huge plus.
I continue to cook my onions and carrots by way of roasting on a cookie sheet until seared and caramelized sweet, and continue to make mashed potatoes instead of the those cooked along with the pot roast.
You could of course, add the veggies to the slow cooker a couple of hours before dinner and save the extra steps. Here is the basic recipe for just the meat.
- A 3-4 lb beef pot roast (chuck roast or other similar one)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 c red wine
- 2 c stock (chicken or beef is fine)
- clove of garlic sliced
- 1/4 of onion, sliced thinly
- a few old mushrooms chopped
- 2 tsps of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat up a tbsp of canola oil in a saute pan. Salt and pepper the meat after drying it carefully with paper towels.
- Sear in the saute pan until it naturally releases, turn and do the other side, and then hold with tongs to sear the edges.
- Place all the other ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Lay the seared meat in the slow cooker.
- Cook at low-medium for 4-6 hours.
- Remove to a platter and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Use the stock as the base of your gravy
- Serve with roasted onions and carrots and mashed potatoes.
NOTES: You can as I said add the veggies to the meat, but do no do this initially or they will be mush by the time you eat. Remove all to a platter and make your gravy as usual. For directions on how to roast the veggies see the main pot roast recipe linked to above.
SOURCE: Sherry Peyton
- Slow Cooker Mexican Style Pot Roast (twinglemommmy.com)
- Savory Pot Roast with Java Au Jus (ochealthycoffee.wordpress.com)
- Simple Slow Cooker Pot Roast (makethemostofsomething.wordpress.com)
- Easy Slow Cooker Beef Roast (cantstayoutofthekitchen.com)
- Most Tender Pot Roast (Slow-cooker) (chewoutloud.com)
- Crock Pot Roast (naturalbeefblog.com)