This is certainly true of pickling. It’s both easy and gives a great quality product as good or better than what you can buy. However, I do not want to make up twelve quarts at a time, usually I want a pint or two.
Microwaving really works, and it keeps the cukes really crisp. I made up a couple of pints in probably about 30 minutes time. So when you have extra cukes, even big ones, give this a go.
- Enough cukes to fill one quart jar or two pints. You can make them in spears, cut them in half, cut in rounds, leave whole, whatever you have will work just fine.
- 1 clove garlic, into two pieces if using pint jars
- 3/4 tsp dill or a sprig in each jar
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 jalapeño, split if using pint jars (optional if you want a bit of spiciness)
- 1/2 c cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 c water
- 2 tsp salt
- canning jars, lids and screw tops
- Bring your jars a boil and then let sit in the hot water until needed. Put the lids and screw tops in a small saucepan and bring them just off the boil. Turn off and retrieve as needed.
- Wash your cukes and cut them up or not as you desire.
- Fill the jar(s) leaving 1/4 inch head space at the top, as follows. Place the garlic, dill and turmeric, and hot pepper in the jar, then put in the pickles, fitting them as tightly as you can. Note: if you are using two jars, divide the dill and turmeric in half.
- Add the vinegar, water and salt to a microwave safe bowl and heat on high until it boils. Stop the microwave.
- Pour over the pickles until the liquid comes to the 1/4 inch head space.
- Place a sealing lid on, and then the twist lid. Do not tighten the twist lid too tight.
- Leave on counter until the jars are no more than tepid and then transfer to the fridge.
- Pickles must be left in fridge until eaten.
SERVES: 1 quart
NOTES: You can now buy a small english cucumber in little bags of about 5, this will be pretty close to 2 pints. You can just make your pickles two pints at a time as needed year round.
- Grandma’s Pickles (heimdairy.wordpress.com)
- spicy garlic dill pickle spears and a lily (bitebymichelle.com)
- Homemade Refrigerator Pickles (organicfindsncoupons.com)
- One Jar Refrigerator Dill Pickles (annashortcakes.com)
- Polish Dills: A Pickling Demo (diyfoodaction.wordpress.com)
- Refrigerator Dill Pickles (feastingwithfriendsblog.com)