This works so nicely with some stir-fried veggies.
The sauce is nice and spicy and you can control the heat, and the amount since you make each part separately.
I changed a few things, but not much from this recipe.
When you got to have some Chinese, well, have Korean instead!
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup honey or corn syrup
3 inch piece of ginger root, peeled and very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 heaping teaspoon dried red chile flakes (or less if you’re not craving the heat)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips or pieces (1 lb)
5 tablespoons flour
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon sea or Kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg, beaten
Canola oil, for frying
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1/3 cup roasted, salted peanuts, very roughly chopped
Veggies for stir-frying such as cabbage, carrots, celery, broccoli, etc. about 4 cups.
A tsp each grated ginger and garlic
- Place the first section of ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to boil. Reduce and keep on low boil until it reduces to the consistency of honey.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch and the flour, with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces until coated, then remove to a plate. Add the egg and sufficient water to make a thick batter.
- Roll the chicken pieces in the batter.
- Fry in canola oil until done, 8-10 minutes. ( I use a small cast iron fry pan and have the oil a good inch deep) Do in batches. Remove to a paper lined cooling rack.
- Stir fry your veggies in a separate pan to which you have added oil, and the grated ginger and garlic.
- Serve all in separate serving bowls with rice.
NOTES: You can substitute Thai peppers or Serrano instead of the flakes if you wish. You could also use chicken wings and make this as an appetizer with just the sauce.
SOURCE: The Last Wonton
- Next up: Korean Fried Chicken (thekoreanfoodwatch.wordpress.com)
- Korean Fried Chicken (thebittenword.typepad.com)
- Korean fried chicken… The REAL KFC (noxaisling.wordpress.com)
- Korean Style Atomic Fried Chicken (recipesfortheravenous.com)