Next to chocolate, it’s my favorite flavor I guess.
And I’ve been finding that poke cakes or similar things, are simply my favorite since they don’t require a lot of finesse.
Mostly poke cakes rely on box cake mixes which I don’t use, so I combined a buttermilk cake in this recipe and, well, it turned out awfully well.
Now traditionally you put this all up in a 9 x 13, but I’d go another size larger for sure, otherwise it’s going to be all over the bottom of your oven. (trust me on this)
- 2 1/3 c cake flour (see tips for how to make your own only side bar)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 1/3 c sugar
- 3 lg eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c buttermilk
- 2 regular boxes lemon instant pudding
- 1/3 c sugar
- 2 c milk
- 1 c water
- From the top of the ingredient list: Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Cream together the butter and then add the sugar and beat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture in three parts between the buttermilk, in two parts.
- Pour into a greased and floured pan 12 x 14 is best.
- Mix all the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk for about 2 minutes until it thickens.
- Pour over the cake batter and place in a pre-heated 350° oven for about 60 minutes.
- Use a baking sheet underneath to catch any bubble overs.
- Cool to warm before serving.
- Can be served with whipped cream, powdered sugar, or ice cream.
SOURCE: Joy of Cooking for the cake