Time to try to keep frantically in front of the onslaught of zucchini bursting forth from the garden.
What to do?
Make zucchini bread!
This recipe is really one of the better one. Nice and moist and with plenty of flavor. Makes a lovely breakfast bread.
- 1 lb of zucchini, about 2 small, shredded.
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 2 lg eggs
- 1/4 c plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 c nuts or seeds of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a loaf pan.
- Take the shredded zucchini and place between layers of paper towelling and press out as much liquid as possible.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl, add the butter, eggs, yogurt and lemon juice together and whisk until smooth.
- Fold the wet into the dry and then add the zucchini, folding it in as well.
- Add the nuts or seeds and fold in gently.
- Place in the loaf pan.
- Bake about 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool on rack for 10 minutes and then turn out and let cool completely.
NOTES: You can add raisins if you wish of any kind. About 3/4 of a cup. You could also add dried fruit of some other type. This recipe doubles easily. You can also place shredded uncooked zucchini in freezer bags and keep for 6 months and make the bread as needed. Be very careful to thoroughly press out the liquid if you do, since there will be a good deal more. I would store about 3-4 c in a package with the idea of making 2 loaves at a time.
SOURCE: Cook’s Illustrated
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread (burntapple.com)
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread (snookiescakes.wordpress.com)
- Zucchini Bread (spoonful.com)
- Zucchini Bread Pancakes (andreasgardencooking.com)
- Zucchini Nut Bread (heartforthehome.wordpress.com)
- Zucchini Bread Waffles (kinseycooks.wordpress.com)
- Zucchini Bread with Crushed Pineapple (sheretired.com)
- Zucchini Bread (theyumcache.wordpress.com)