It goes well with so many dishes.
Try them with fried chicken or fried pork chops.
Try them with grilled sausages.
Try them with pie.
Oh just try them.
- 2 lbs or so of small potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, quartered each so that the root is intact on each segment, holding each segment together
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 cloves garlic, microplaned
- 1 c heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 c shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 freshly minced parsley or chives
- Place the unpeeled chunks of potato and onion into a large plastic bag.
- Add about 2 tbsp of canola oil. Turn bag up and down to coat.
- Spread evenly on a parchment covered baking pan and roast in a 425° oven until fork tender (30 minutes should be fine)
- Meanwhile cut up the bacon into 1″ pieces and fry until done. Remove to paper towelling and blot. Set aside.
- Remove all but 1 tbsp of the bacon fat from pan and add the garlic.
- Whisk the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the cream and heat until just starting to bubble, but don’t let it boil hard.
- Add the butter and continue whisking until melted and the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Add the cheese and whisk until melted.
- Add the potatoes and onions to the sauce and stir to mix.
- Add the bacon and parsley and stir just until mixed.
NOTES: You might want to use some other fresh herbs of your choice. You could also use Gorgonzola or Havarti or any other cheese you wish. Experiment with fingerling potatoes. Or add a combo of potatoes and turnips or parsnips. This is just versatile as you want it to be. With sliced sausage and perhaps some peas or green beans added, you would have a whole meal in the skillet!
AUTHOR: Sherry Peyton
TIME: 30 minutes
- Herb Parmesan Potato Slices (cupcakepedia.com)