I mean it makes a girl want to weep.
Desserts are special things and they HAVE to be special.
This is a great tasting cake, and easy to make. It is great as the base of a poke cake, but is just fine frosted as is. It makes a generous two layers.
Try it. I’m sure you will agree.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two nine-inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer. Stir in the boiling water last. Batter will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
NOTES: As I said, I used this as a base for a poke cake and it worked out perfectly. However it’s more than moist enough to stand on its own.
SOURCE: All Recipes
OVEN TIME: 30-35 minutes