The latest batch of pies seem to be coming from Serious Eats, and they have been excellent. Just the right blend of sugar and fruit. Or maybe it’s that I am getting really excellent fruit here in New Mexico.
Either way, this pie turned out wonderfully.
I urge you to make it.
- 1 recipe for pie dough, 2 crusts. (I have two here or use your own)
- 2 pints blueberries.
- zest of one lemon
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 c sugar
- one egg beaten for a “wash” on the top crust
- some sugar for dusting the top
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Clean the berries and set aside in a bowl.
- Mix the lemon zest, cornstarch and sugar together and then pour over the berries, mixing carefully so as not to break any berries.
- Pour into the bottom crust.
- Cut some vents in the top crust and attach it, fluting the edges to prevent bubble over.
- Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes, rotating once.
- Reduce the oven to 350° and continue baking for about 25 more minutes, or until juices are thick and bubbly.
- Cool on a rack.
NOTES: you can use frozen berries, but thaw first.
SOURCE: Serious Eats.
- Classic Summer Recipe: Blueberry Pie – Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- Scrumptious Blueberry Pie (eventfulexistence.wordpress.com)
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie (deliciousdessertsrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Blueberry Crumble Pie (whatchamakinnow.blogspot.com)
- Michigan Blueberry Pie (spiritshauntingsandeats.wordpress.com)