This is just a great little side dish. It’s wonderful on those days that you are just potatoed out, when you have mashed and baked and fried them to death and are looking for something different.
It’s a simple recipe and requires no special ingredients (though you could probably add all kinds of spices to alter it to a specific meal).
So do consider doing something with that sad little cauliflower that sits on the shelf in the grocery story begging to be adopted by somebody.
It should be kid friendly in case that matters.
- 1 head of cauliflower, roughly chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 c cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 scallion in thin, thin slices
- Place the cauliflower in salted water and cook until just fork tender.
- Drain and return to the pot over the turned off burner to further dry.
- Pour the cauliflower into a food processor and add the rest of the ingredients except the scallion.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Scatter the scallions across the top.
NOTES: You can do this with a potato masher for a more rustic dish. Also consider using other cheeses and perhaps nutmeg or other fresh herbs.
SOURCE: Adapted from Griffin’s Grub
- Garlic Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower (hugsnkitchen.com)
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower (Emma’s Favorite) (kelseymossberg.wordpress.com)
- Cauliflower Leek Mash (crescentskinny.com)
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Mash (peakperformanceforeverydayliving.wordpress.com)
I love cauliflower and LOVE how you’ve made it mashed with cheese and other goodies!
We really did like it. I was a bit surprised it packed so much punch. It was a nice alternative to potatoes for a change of pace. !END