This takes me back to when I was a kid. Boys pushed carts of frozen delights around our neighborhood, ringing bells on the push bar. While we often got popsicles, fudgesicles, or Eskimo pies, sometimes we got creamsicles.
Orange sherbet encasing a creaming vanilla ice cream center.
Can you smell the scent of cut grass?
Hear the grinding of bicycle tires on gravel roads?
Okay, I’m not ten any more, and I don’t live on a gravel road.
And heck, they don’t even have ice cream trucks any more as far as I can tell.
But we still can have the taste.
And the great thing about this recipe is that you can mix and match almost anything. Melt chocolate chips and pour and freeze to make an Eskimo pie. How you ask? Why just follow along. It’s easy.
- 1 baked single pie crust (use a deep dish pie pan)
- 1 pint of orange sherbet, softened
- 1 pint of vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 c heavy cream
- 8 oz of so of dark chocolate
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Bake a single crust pie crust as directed. Cool.
- Take out vanilla ice cream and let soften, scoop the vanilla into the bottom of the pie crust and place in freezer to set up. It needs to be firm, but doesn’t need to be rock hard frozen.
- While that the vanilla is firming, take out sherbet and let it soften.
- Remove vanilla pie from the oven and scoop the sherbet into the pie crust and spread evenly.
- Return to the freezer and allow to firm up.
- When ready, put the cream, sugar and vanilla in a mixer and beat to hard peaks.
- Spoon over the top of the pie and spread evenly.
- Shave pieces of chocolate over the top.
- Return to freeze to freeze thoroughly.
- The pie must be kept in the freezer obviously.
NOTES: you can use any ice creams or sherbets in this. You might use fresh fruit slices on the top if you do say a strawberry pie. You can use other crusts, but I don’t advise it. A cookie crust freezes pretty hard and it makes it very hard to cut or break with a fork. The regular crust is much easier.
SOURCE: Sherry Peyton
- Ginger, Mango & Lime Ice Cream Cake (themoveablefeasts.wordpress.com)
- Oreo Ice Cream Pie (positivenrggroup.com)
- Yummy Watermelon Pie (socialcouture.typepad.com)