I have sort of looked at several recipes and brought together the ingredients I especially like. I make no attempts at authenticity here. It’s French in spirit at least.
It think this is a very dressed up dish perfect for company as well as the family.
Adapted from Epicurious, and the MessyBakerBlog.
- 6 – 8 short ribs
- 4 carrots, divided
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 lg onion
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp herbs de Provence
- 1 c red wine (a burgundy or Merlot would be perfect)
- 2 c beef stock (unsalted preferred)
- 1/8 c flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 regular can of diced tomatoes (or equivalent diced fresh–about a 1 1/2 c)
- 1 bay leaf, sprig of fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried
- salt and pepper
- In an oven ready pan, saute the ribs on all sides, browning well in a couple tbsp of olive oil.
- Remove the ribs to a plate.
- Finely dice the ribs of celery and one carrot. add to the saute pan and saute until just starting to give up a little liquid.
- Slice the onion into fairly thin slices and add to the celery and carrot. Continue sauteing until the onion is softened but not yet done.
- Add the garlic, microplaned, stir in well. Continue until you can smell it.
- Add the flour and stir in thoroughly.
- Add all the herbs.
- Add the wine and stock, stirring up all the bits from the bottom.
- Add the tomatoes and paste, stirring in well.
- Bring to a low boil and add the meat back and any juices from the plate.
- Cover and place in a 300° oven for 2 – 2 1/2 hours or until meat is falling off the bone.
- In the last 20 minutes, add the remaining carrots.
TIME: 2 – 2 1/2 hours
NOTES: Serves over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles. If you grow your own herbs, by all means use them…I’d say keep the proportions the same but use about 2 tbsp fresh. It’s okay to mix dried with fresh if you don’t grow all that is needed.
- Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs in Cabernet Sauce (theyumcache.wordpress.com)
- Braised Short Ribs & Cauliflower Mash (jenbeauchesne.wordpress.com)
- Chipotle Short Rib Tacos with Cucumber Salsa (06.17.13) (fox13now.com)
- An Introduction and Beef Short Ribs (theflourcoveredkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Easter Dinner: Short Ribs Braised with Red Wine, Rosemary, and Porcini with Garlic Confit-Scallion Truffled Mashed Potatoes (mmm-yoso.typepad.com)