Okay, what does it matter.
Like so many vegetables, asparagus is a fine one to roast. And it’s simple, and makes your side a bit more elegant that it might otherwise be.
Especially in Spring when the asparagus is coming in all over the land, this is a great side for just about any meal. Grilled chicken comes to mind.
And if you have never tried white asparagus, well, my tip is don’t bother. We did and we thought it actually pretty awful tasting compared to the green. But don’t let me influence you!
- One bunch of fresh asparagus, snapped at the joint. Save the ends for a stock or throw them out. They are too pithy to munch.
- 3 tbsp of good quality EVOO.
- 1/4 c freshly shredded Parmigiano Reggiano or other high quality Parmesan.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash the asparagus and pat dry. Take a spear and bend between fingers until it snaps. Throw the short end away or save for a stock. Line up the rest of the asparagus with the cut one, and slice them all. This works fairly nicely without having to snap each one. It will be close enough in most cases.
- Place all in a plastic bag and pour in the EVOO, massage until all spears are nicely coated.
- Spread on a baking sheet covered with parchment.
- Place in a 425° oven and roast until cooked through and getting a bit of sear. I would think 20 minutes would be sufficient. Roll them a bit about half way through to even out the sear.
- Remove to serving dish and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
NOTES: You can also add some roasted pine nuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds if you like. You might also like to spritz with a wedge of lemon. Not a lot, just a tablespoon or so sprinkled on for a nice little bright spot here and there. Also you might want to sprinkle with some toasted bread crumbs, but I would make it just a scattering, not a layer certainly. If you use the breadcrumbs I would scatter some slices of garlic in the pan and heat until fragrant before putting in the bread crumbs to toast.
- Roasted Asparagus (hannandigitalinfo.wordpress.com)
- Roast Asparagus – revisited (robin-ellis.net)
- Roasted asparagus, radicchio and pineapple with balsamic vinegar and parmesan cheese (charlotte.news14.com)
- Recipe: Danny Meyer’s Roasted Asparagus Gratin (wnyc.org)
- Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Parmesan Bread Crumbs (cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com)