Sometimes it’s just what you have to have.
Nothing else will do.
It’s got to be home cooking and it’s got to be nostalgic.
Nothing fits that bill better than home-made biscuits and some very very home-made sausage gravy.
You can almost taste it can’t ya?
I know city folks don’t like such fattening stuff. But all of us were once upon a time just kids and this was wonderful food.
And sometimes life is hard and this kind of food lets us forget all the mean old world for a bit and enter our memories and smile.
So do make this. You’ll know when it’s time.
- 1 recipe of Southern biscuits baked according to the directions.
- 1 lb of your favorite bulk breakfast sausage, broken up.
- 1/2 lg onion, diced
- 1/4 c of flour
- 3 c whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Assemble the biscuit dough, make your biscuits and let it sit while the oven preheats and you begin the gravy.
- Break up the sausage and saute with the onion until done. Use a potato masher or cutter to break up the sausage into even pieces.
- Add the flour and mix thoroughly with the meat coating it all, and cooking it for a couple of minutes more.
- Add the milk (you can put it in the microwave for a minute or so to warm but it’s not necessary). Stir well and continue stirring as the milk gets hot and begins to thicken.
- Stir until completely thickened and bubbly.
- Salt and pepper and then taste for more seasonings.
- Pop your biscuits in and bake. Serve piping hot.
NOTES: This is a basic recipe. You can add herbs (fresh would be great of any kind you wish, depending on the type of sausage you are using), hot pepper flakes, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped chiles if you desire. Any spices which you think might complement your type of sausage can also be added.
- Sausage Gravy and Biscuits (cantstayoutofthekitchen.com)
that makes me hungry:)