Bananas have this habit of not being ripe, and then the hold hand is ripe at once, leading to the inevitable too many too ripe bananas.
Well, this is what banana bread and banana pudding were developed for. To take up the slack.
Add a few slices of banana on top and a couple of vanilla wafers, and it’s really a daydream back to being a kid again.
I grew up with Jello pudding, but I don’t think they made banana back then, so banana pudding was definitely a home-made thing.
And today? Well, this is ever so much richer and banana tasting that that stuff in the box. And it takes very little time.
So give yourself and your family a treat and make some this week. The kids will adore you, your husband will smile, and things always go well from there on out.
Recipe from My Recipes.
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt.
- 2 1/4 c milk
- 4 lg eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/3 c vanilla wafers
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt together, in a medium saucepan.
- Add the milk and the egg yolks. Whisk together.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking often for 6-8 minutes, or until it thickens up.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla.
- Place a layer of vanilla wafers in the bottom of a 8 x 8 baking dish. Top with half the banana slices.
- Layer half the pudding on top.
- Repeat another layer.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, then add the 3 tbsp of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the meringue over the pan, sealing at the edges.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until top starts to turn a golden light brown.
- Serve warm or chilled.
NOTES: You can of course omit the meringue and serve as is. You can skip the layering and just scoop a few tablespoons of the vanilla pudding into a globular glass and then strewn the surface with sliced bananas and stick a couple of the wafers into it as well. This is certainly more decorative.
- Vanilla Wafer Banana Pudding Cookies (tamaraleighauthor.wordpress.com)
- Banana pudding parfaits (csmonitor.com)
- Home Made Banana Pudding (meagenrice.wordpress.com)
- Banana Pudding (ireport.cnn.com)
- Banana Pudding without baking (kamify.wordpress.com)
- A Banana Bread Pudding Recipe…To..Die…For (redtri.com)