This is one of those simple desserts and it looks nice, and tastes lovely, and that makes it perfect for any get-together. The original recipes of this type call for a boxed brownie mix, but you know I don’t use those.
So make your own brownies, and I would suggest that you use a more cake-like recipe than a gooey one, but you decide how decadent you want to be.
This recipe was adapted from Frugal Antics Recipes.
- One regular-sized batch of brownies using your favorite recipe. Bake and cool.
- 1 lg pkg instant chocolate pudding or make your own. Again, your own is far better!
- 3 c milk (if using instant pudding)
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 c Andes peppermint chunks or candy canes, bang them up good with a meat tenderizer
- 1 8 oz container of cool whip or 2 c sweetened whipped cream (about 1 c heavy whipping cream)
- 2/3 c chopped walnuts
- Mix the extract with the whipped cream.
- Break up your brownies into pieces, irregular as you wish, they don’t have to be cubed unless you want to.
- Place a single layer in the bottom of a dish.
- Place a few tablespoons of the pudding on top. No need to make his all smooth and even.
- Place a scattering of the peppermint chunks over this.
- Place whipped topping on that, and sprinkle with some chopped nuts.
- Repeat layers.
- There should be at least 2 layers, and more if your container is fairly tall and narrow. You can also do this in individual serving dishes. Glass is nice because the layering looks pretty.
NOTES: As you can see, you can make this easy by using boxed brownies, pudding and cool whip or you can make it great by taking more time and making everything from scratch. I prefer the latter, but of course, it’s up to you. You could change this up seasonally by using a different flavored pudding and different hard candies, like butterscotch perhaps. I’d do almonds for the nuts in that case. Pistachio pudding would work nicely and use pistachios as the nuts.
- Almond Joy Brownie Trifle (asweetbaker.com)