This appetizer dip is a rich one, so you won’t want to eat bunches alone. Figure on plenty of additional “cooler” offerings with it.
But it is very very good. Use it with tortilla chips, crackers of any kind, or raw veggies. They all work just fine. It’s good cold too.
Adapted from Foodiecrush.
- 2 c onion, diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/8 tsp Mexican oregano
- 10 oz of chorizo sausage ( beef or pork), casing removed
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1/2 c mozzarella or Monterey Jack, shredded
- 4 green onions, chopped (including the green parts)
- salt to taste (I didn’t need any)
- Place the chorizo in a skillet and cook until done, stirring and breaking it up. Remove to another dish
- Melt the butter in the skillet, adding the onion, and saute slowly until soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes or so.
- In a medium bowl add the cream cheese and mayo and blend with a whisk until smooth. Add the onions, oregano, green onion and shredded cheese. Mix well.
- Add the chorizo, and fold in.
- Place in a baking dish.
- Place on a baking sheet and place in a preheated 350° oven for about 15 minutes, just until the top starts to brown and gets bubbly.
- Let sit for a few minutes to cool. It’s best served just warm.
Serves: 6-8 as part of a larger spread of appetizers
NOTES: I think the cheese you use is pretty much up to you. A good melting Mexican cheese would work great here as well such as Cotija.
- Poblanos with Shrimp and Chorizo Stuffing (annashortcakes.wordpress.com)
- Chorizo-Queso Egg Rolls (nubbs75.wordpress.com)