Well, I can learn a thing or two!
This recipe is from A Passionate Plate, and adapted from another one.
I loved it fine as is.
It works so well with a great homemade soup, either as a dunker or as croutons.
I have another one with I’m going to try with Romano! That should be equally good.
Oh, before I forget, these recipes are really fast to get together so do try it.
- 2 eggs
- 1 c cheddar, shredded
- 1 c + 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a food processor, combine the eggs and cheese until fairly well combined.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Add to the egg mixture and whir just until it comes together.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board, kneading just until it holds together.
- Shape into a 10″ log. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten slightly
- Bake for about 25 minutes until firm and golden.
- Cool for a bit, then slice into 1/2 inch pieces, laying them flat on the baking sheet. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes, turn and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Cool. Store in airtight container, or freeze and use as needed.
Serves: about a dozen slices
NOTES: Other hard cheeses can be substituted.