Yes, it’s broccoli and cheddar cheese soup. And it’s delicious if I do say so. I cannot take all the credit for I grabbed this recipe from the Foodnetwork. But of all the recipes I’ve looked at and tried, this is the best. I did make some minor changes.
It has a few unusual ingredients, which is why I think it stands out as better than most.
Even though it has cream, it does freeze quite well. It’s easy enough to half or double as you need.
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 c salt-free chicken stock
- 1 c heavy cream.
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lg sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 c broccoli florets, steamed until tender crisp
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a saute pan and cook the onion and celery until softened.
- Remove to a soup size pan. Add the stock, the potatoes, bay leaf, and 1 c of water, some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are done.
- Remove the bay leaf and either use a blender or immersion blender to puree about 1/2 of the mixture (or all if you desire)
- Return to the pot. Add broccoli and heat until just off the boil. Add the cream and the cheese, stir, and continue heating until just short of a boil again.
- Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Soup (thehooteats.com)
- Broccoli Cheese Soup (pastaprincessandmore.wordpress.com)
- Broccoli, Ham and Cheddar Soup for Two (thejoyofcaking.wordpress.com)
- Broccoli and Carrot Cheese Soup (muffinsandmocha.wordpress.com)