It was perfect for the holidays, and refrigerated, just remained so moist and great right to the very last piece.
Best yet, for some reason egg nog is available here all year round, so this cake is perfect for any occasion.
I did have awful time getting it out of the pan, even though I had greased it well, so I might make it in an angel food tube pan next time. You can glaze or not as you wish with the usual bit of melted butter and confectioner’s sugar cut with a bit more of the eggnog.
- 1 c of a variety of dried fruit of your choice. Four types, a 1/4 c each. Vary with the seasons or holiday
- 3 c flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt.
- 1/4 c freshly grated nutmeg.
- 1 c butter unsalted
- 2 c sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1 c eggnog
- 1 c almonds, sliced and toasted
- Place the dried fruit in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/4 c water mixed with the tsp rum extract
- Grease a bundt pan or other large tube pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cream together the butter and the sugar, until light and well mixed. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg. Add in small increments to the batter, mixing well before the next addition, until all the flour mixture is incorporated in the batter.
- Slowly add the eggnog until it too is well mixed in the batter.
- Stir in the fruit with the liquid. Mix gently.
- Add the nuts and stir just until mixed.
- Pour into the baking dish.
- Bake for 55-70 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, and then turn out onto a serving platter and cool completely.
- Add a glaze or not as you wish.
NOTES: all the fruits are up to you. Raisins, cranberries, cherries, blueberries, mango, pineapple, papaya, and so forth. Figs and dates too. Also feel free to alter the nuts as you wish. Macadamias would be nice with a more tropical mix of fruit. Also real booze can be substituted for the extract. Use about 2 tbsp if you do. Recipe adapted from All Recipes.
- Spiced Spiked Eggnog Cupcakes (fox4kc.com)
- Egg Nog Muffins (nancycreative.com)
- Egg Nog Cappuccino (lovelyseasonscomeandgo.wordpress.com)