This is the basic recipe. What I love about it is that you can either roll it out and play with the shapes if you are anal-retentive, or you can be like me, and simply roll it up in Saran wrap into logs, get it nice and cold and slice in rounds.
That makes for a very fast little recipe and still gives you a ton of cookies. Since size of the cookie determines how many dozen, I’ll just say it makes several dozen nice size cookies.
So what are you waiting for?
Recipe: adapted from Yummly
- 1 1/2 c softened butter
- 3 c white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer until well blended. Beat in the eggs, one at a time and the vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add in small batches, mixing well until you have added it all.
- Chill the dough for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch or simply cut in rounds from a dough log about 1/4 inch as well. Place on cookie sheet covered with parchment, leaving a good inch between.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes until edges start to brown. Cool on a rack.
- Frost if you wish with Sweet Sugar Icing.
Serves: about 4 dozen give or take
Notes: you can store the dough in the fridge for several days, or you can freeze it for later use. Probably up to three months.