But I do like a southern cornbread and it works best I think for my Italian cornbread regular bread combo dressing, which is my favorite holiday dressing.
So I find a good reason (chili is a great excuse) to make me up a pan and then I freeze about half to use at the holidays. Smart huh?
Anyway, this is the kind you bake in a cast iron skillet. And you MUST have a cast iron skillet because they are SO useful. I love cast iron, and have a huge old pot I make my chile in too, and my arroz com pollo.
This recipe is from Simply Recipes.
- 2 c cornmeal or 1 1/2 c cornmeal and 1/2 c flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp bacon drippings
- Place the bacon fat in a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet and place in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°, with the skillet inside.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg and buttermilk together until blended, then add to the dry ingredients.
- Add the melted butter.
- Take the skillet out with mitts and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until edges are browning and the center is toothpick clean.
- Let sit for a few minutes before cutting into wedges.
NOTES: as usual, add jalapeños or fresh or frozen/canned corn to the batter to liven things up. Crispy bacon crumbled up would also be a fun addition to the batter. I’d say about 4 slices would be grand. Corn? about a cup. Jalapeños? Oh as much as you can handle! Cheddar cheese? Please, now you want it don’t you?
- One of America’s Favorites – Cornbread (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- Corn Bread (theepochtimes.com)
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread (lattesandleggings.com)
- Bona Fide Black Skillet Cornbread (bonafidefarmfood.com)
- Southern Cornbread (wingsaseagles40.wordpress.com)