These gems were inspired by the recipe at Simply Recipes. I changed it up slightly, but not much.
- 1 1/3 c flour
- 1/4 c cornmeal
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 c shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 chopped jalapeñ0, seeds removed. (use other hot peppers as you desire–figuring on about 1/4 c
- 1 c cream or combination of cream, milk and/or buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Using a cookie sheet, place a piece of parchment paper on, and grease with shortening
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Add in the cheese and pepper tossing lightly to coat–keeps the cheese and pepper better suspended in the dough I find.
- Add the cream and mix gently until a dough forms.
- Press out onto a pastry mat into an oval, round or square. Should be about 1/2 inch thick or so.
- You can of course use a cookie cutter, but I just use a knife and cut into chunks of about the same size. Easiest if you have pressed the dough into a square of course.
- Transfer to the cookie sheet, letting the pieces touch which will cause the biscuits to puff up nicely.
- Bake for about 11-15 minutes or until browned lightly.
Serves: 9 large biscuits, 12 if you wish
Note: These biscuits go so nicely with gumbo. My husband likes to pour his gumbo over the biscuit in a dish. I prefer it slathered with some butter on the side. They are so wonderful. I’m inclined to eat them for breakfast! Don’t forget chili!
- Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuits (ahealthylifeforme.com)
- Jalapeño Cheese Muffins (Again) (rgrull.wordpress.com)
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread (lattesandleggings.com)
- Jalapeno Cheese Corn Muffins (grainmillwagon.com)