This is a truly wonderful fall-type dessert. Have this with coffee or better yet, some hard cider. While we don’t have anything you could really call fall here in Las Cruces, I can almost hear the crunch of the leaves underfoot and the smell of the wood smoke as the stove is cranked up for the first time when I take a bite.
Simple to make, they are easy to transport too, so they make a nice treat to take when visiting.
There are several recipes for this and they are all pretty much the same. I got this one from Cookies and Cups.
- 1 c flour
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c butter, softened
The Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 8oz pkg. cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced or sliced
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice
The Streusel Topping
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c flour
- 1/4 c old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/2 c or more, caramel sauce (bottled Smuckers)
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Line a 9 x 9 inch pan with foil.
- Mix the crust ingredients with a fork or cutter until blended and then press into the baking pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, vanilla, egg, and the sugar. Beat until smooth.
- Prepare the apples, and sprinkle with a tbsp of sugar and the pumpkin spice.
- Make the streusel topping by combining all the ingredients and cutting with fork or cutter until crumbly.
- When crust is done, cool it, placing in fridge for a few minutes.
- Then spread the cream cheese mixture on top followed by the apples.
- Then spread the streusel topping.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the topping is just lightly browned.
- Remove and cool. Drizzle with as much or little caramel sauce as you desire. Place in fridge to chill for 2 hours.
I see no reason why you couldn’t substitute other fruit. Especially pears. But I can see blueberries or raspberries as well. Perhaps you might want to alter the sauce to butterscotch or chocolate for some fruits. It’s versatile!
- Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars (andtheycookedhappilyeverafter.wordpress.com)
- By Request: Caramelized Apple New York Cheesecake (savoringeverybite.com)