Cobb salads are as varied as your imagination, so in one sense, what’s the point of a recipe?
This just gives you the basic outline. Swap out veggies you don’t care for, include those you do, and for goodness sake DO include your favorite dressing. You can make this Italian, or French or Mexican or Caribbean as your heart desires. I’ll include some of the possibilities in the note.
- 1 head of Boston Bibb lettuce
- 1 c of diced chicken breast, cooked (grilling would be great here)
- 1 c diced ham
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and (one inch dice is nice here)
- 1 c cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 3-4 hard-boiled, peeled and sliced eggs
- 1 lg avocado, sliced
- about 1/2 of a red onion, sliced paper-thin
- Your favorite salad dressing, preferably home-made
- Break apart the lettuce, wash and spin dry. Place in a large bowl.
- You can compose the rest of the ingredients as pictured or place them in separate dishes for ease in each person choosing those items they like.
- Let each person plate their lettuce, the toppings and add the amount of dressing they desire
Serves: 3 nice servings
NOTE: You can add cucumbers, sweet peppers, green beans, olives, beans which have been rinsed and drained, and cubes of any kind of cheese. The best way to really change up the taste is of course to vary the dressing. I made my favorite blue cheese, but you could easily do a ranch, or adapt that to a southwestern flavor with chipotle powder and some lime juice. Also a strict vinaigrette with black or nicoise olives and some fresh mozzarella would be excellent. Serve with some great rolls and a nice glass of wine of your choice and you have a very filling and delightful meal.
- Niçoise Cobb Salad (savorysaltysweet.com)
- Cobb Salad (dellacucinapovera.wordpress.com)
- French Cobb Salad (cookinginsens.wordpress.com)
- Cobb-ish Salad (lotusmanifesto.wordpress.com)