And so, I’m always looking for more ways to fix them, and keep the meal fresh and interesting.
This is an adaptation to my recipe Wacka-Mole Potatoes. Just take ’em up a notch.
You can substitute all kinds of additions here, which a good recipe always offers, so be inventive, and depending on the dish it is being served with, think out of the box.
- 6-8 new potatoes
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 c fried onions
- 1 c corn, defrosted
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Wash potatoes and place in plastic bag with oil, massage until all are coated. Spread out on parchment paper-lined jelly roll pan, and roast for about 40 minutes at 425°.
- When done, remove from oven. Leave potatoes on the pan. Using a small saucepan, place over each potato and press down until “smashed”. When all are done, slide them together into a rectangle or place in a casserole in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Place under broiler until the edges are starting to crisp.
- Remove again.
- Cover with a layer of fried onions, then the corn, and then the cheese.
- Turn off oven and place back in just to let the cheese melt.
NOTE: You can used caramelized onions, chives, chopped fresh chiles, vary the cheese, sweet peppers (lightly sautéed), lightly sautéed mushrooms. This goes really nicely with ribs or hamburgers. Any other fresh herbs you like would also be nice.
- New Potatos au Gratin (alidoesit.wordpress.com)
- Fancy Jacket Potatoes With Cheese (machiavelliid.com)
- Loaded Hash Brown Potato Casserole (nancycreative.com)