I’m not a big sandwich fan, nor a big sub fan. I enjoy them from time to time.
But I got a craving for a meatball sub.
So I thought about what it should taste like.
And then I created one.
And we had them, and we ate until we could eat no more, and we still had half of each one left. So be warned!
- 2 sub loaves, or hoagie rolls, or small baguettes slice nearly in half, and pressed open.
- 12 slices of your favorite Italian meat. I used Sopressata, but Genoa, pepperoni, or any other is fine.
- 10 meatballs commercially purchased or homemade
- 1 recipe of marinara sauce, again, purchased or homemade
- 1 c shredded mozzarella
- Place the rolls, cut side up on a baking sheet and place under the broiler until toasted. Remove and shut off oven.
- Heat your marinara sauce, and place the meatballs in the sauce to warm with it.
- When ready, place six of the sliced salami on each roll, overlapping.
- Spoon out five meatballs on top. Spoon additional sauce over, about 3 tablespoons in total
- Put 1/2 c of the mozzarella on each.
- Place back in oven and let the cheese melt from the reserved heat.
NOTE: The recipe for the meatballs makes many more than just 10 of course. Slip unused ones into a freezer bag and pop in the freezer. I had mine already in the freezer, so this dish was fast for me. The marinara sauce is way more than you will use for this dish. This also freezes wonderfully and will also hold in the fridge for a good week, should you wish to make some spaghetti! You could make a much smaller amount of course, but heck, who doesn’t like a freezer full of almost made meals?
- Turkey Meatball Mini Sub (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)