This definitely fits the bill. It’s brought to you by Tracy Joyner at JustaPinch.
I changed things up a bit, but the basics are hers. You can add a lot of twists on this recipe, which always keeps it fresh.
Since my husband adores cauliflower with a cheese sauce, this recipe really is a home run because it works as a main dish.
So do enjoy it.
- 1 lg head of cauliflower
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 c milk
- 3 c shredded cheese (cheddar)
- 1 lb of any sausage you enjoy. I used smoked kielbasa
- Cut up the cauliflower into the florets. Throw in a plastic bag.
- Slice up the onion and add to the bag.
- Pour in about 3 tbsp of oil, and massage until the veggies are coated.
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast until done about 40 minutes, turning once. (just fork tender)
- Make your white sauce (bechamel) by making a roux of the flour and butter, and then adding the milk, bringing to a boil and stirring until it’s thickened.
- Add the cheese.
- Roughly cut up the cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Add with the onion to a casserole dish.
- Slice the kielbasa into diagonal pieces and layer on top.
- Pour the cheese sauce on top.
- Place in a 375° oven for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Don’t over cook or your cauliflower will be mushy.
NOTE: You can also add broccoli stalks or tops if you prefer, corn, carrots, etc. as additional veggies. Vary the sausage of course as you wish, and consider using other cheeses as well.