And then add to that, that I’m not a huge fan in the first place. I like banana bread, but I’m not in love with banana bread.
Well, I tried this one, and I really thought it was good. I mean good. I mean, breakfast-eatin’ good, and that is what a good sweet bread is all about as far as I’m concerned.
I owe it all to Kelly Smith from JustAPinch who posted her recipe here.
I replicated it exactly as given, although I think you can substitute the nuts of your choice, or even use sunflower or pumpkin seeds if you were a mind to. They all work just fine.
- 3/4 c butter, room temp
- 1 80z pkg of cream cheese, also room temp
- 2 c sugar
- 2 lg eggs
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c chopped nuts
- 1 1/2 c mashed bananas (ripe but they don’t have to be dead!)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together until well blended. Gradually add the sugar until it is all in, and nice and fluffy.
- Whisk together the flour, soda and powder and salt. Slowly add this into the butter/cream while mixing. Blend well, but you don’t have to beat this, just mix it on low. Add the vanilla and give a few more turns until mixed in.
- When done, remove the bowl from the mixer and add in the bananas and nuts and stir by hand. (This lets the bananas not be completely liquified).
- Divide batter in half into and place in the loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour until lightly browned and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for about 20 minutes before removing from pans, and then cool thoroughly.
- Add a glaze of powdered sugar and milk if you desire over the tops. (I didn’t gild the lily so to speak)
Serves: 2 loaves
Note: Freeze one. Just wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in plastic FREEZER bag.
- Beee-ay-annas, Beee-ay-en-ay-en-ay-annas…BANANAS (trippinmytrigger.wordpress.com)
- Banana Nut Bread (cooksomethingsimple.wordpress.com)
- The World’s Greatest Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. (taylorliptak.wordpress.com)