I have been using this recipe for years, and other than an occasional Lemon Chiffon pie, this is the only one I ever use.
There is NO substitute here for real lemons. Don’t buy that terrible bottled lemon juice. It’s unfit for man and beast alike. In fact, no animal would touch it.
Pies are more labor intensive I guess than cakes are, but the rewards are great.
This recipe is essentially no fail as long as you follow the directions.
- 1 /2 recipe of Primary Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 1/3 c cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c strained fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
- 2-3 tsp grated lemon zest
- 4 lg egg yolks
- 2-3 tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 recipe of Marvelous Meringue Topping
- Make a half recipe of Primary Pie Crust, and cool in the fridge for 30 min.
- Roll out and bake as directed in Pre-Baked Pie Crust.
- Reset the oven to 325°
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Add the water and lemon juice and zest and whisk.
- Whisk in the egg yolks and the butter, as the mixture comes up to a low simmer, cooking for one minute after it begins to just boil.
- Mixture will be very thick.
- Pour into the baked pie crust. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and proceed to the Meringue recipe.
- When meringue is made, spread it on top, anchoring along the edges.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Place on a rack to cool, and then refrigerate.
- Ultimate Lemon Meringue Pie (themagnoliacafe.wordpress.com)
- Mother’s Lemon Pie & Filling for Cream Pies & Pudding! (catholicglasses.com)
- Sunday 22nd of January – Lemon Meringue Pie (lucymorag.wordpress.com)