But when you are talking about a Reuben sandwich, well, there is no substitute.
So I looked at about ten different recipes, and figured out the general ingredients, adding and subtracting here and there, and then I put it all together.
And I scored a pretty big hit, at least if you believe my husband, who just ate his sandwich and declared it the “best ever” even though he absolutely adores fried tenderloins that some hole-in-the-wall establishment used to provide in his biker days.
So, I’m posting the sandwich as well, since it truly was the best Reuben I’ve ever eaten, and I’ve eaten them straight from the deli. And I may, just may develop a fondness for this dressing on lettuce. Perhaps on a chicken salad? I am getting some ideas I tell ya.
- 1 c mayonnaise
- 1/4 c very finely diced red sweet pepper
- 2 Tbsp very finely minced shallot
- 1 heaping tsp drained sweet pickle relish
- 1 heaping tsp finely minced pimento olives
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Mix everything together, and place in fridge for a couple of hours to let the flavors mix.