A bad Reuben is simply awful. I mean really awful.
So, don’t buy some Kraft, Hormel or similar packaged corned beef. Get some real deli corned beef.
Same for the rest of the ingredients.
If you make your own sauerkraut, my you are the best. I don’t so I fudge on that.
And take the time to make it correctly.
And then whimper and moan as you eat it, because it will make you do that, I promise.
- 2/3 lb of good deli corned beef
- 1/3 c of homemade 1000 Island Dressing
- 1 c of sauerkraut, drained
- slices of an excellent swiss cheese, such as Ementhaler to cover the top
- 4 slices of Jewish rye
- Line a broiler pan with foil and place all four slices of bread, buttered in it. Place under a broiler (from middle rack) until butter has melted and bread is lightly browned. Remove
- Turn two slices over to the untoasted side.
- Slather with a tablespoon or more of the dressing.
- Top with 1/3 lb of the corned beef
- Top with about 1/2 c of sauerkraut
- Top with the cheese
- Turn off the oven and then place the two sandwiches back in the oven to let the cheese melt
- Remove and slather the other two slices of bread with the dressing and place it atop each sandwich. Cut in half and plate.
- Reuben Sandwich (ownchef.wordpress.com)
- Oven-Grilled Reuben Sandwiches (toomuchbutter.com)
- Reuben Sandwich (pitstexasexpatblog.wordpress.com)