But I decided, despite my reservations, to give it a go.
And well, let me just say, “WOW”.
Okay, it’s not like winning the lottery or anything, but as you start to eat this, the lights go on, and you start to smile, (not too much, or food will fall out of your mouth), and then it’s like an epiphany.
Oh, this is like a real cheeseburger, but one where the lettuce is soggy and wilted, and the onions haven’t slid out and there is only one measly pickle on it, and the dang mustard is dripping on my shirt. You use a fork and assemble each bite in the amounts you like! It becomes a cheeseburger that has crunch!
So do try it. Of course remove and add ingredients that suit your taste. And by the by, this recipe comes directly from Ree Drummond, the PioneerWoman.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/3 c Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 2 heads romaine lettuce or other type you like
- 4 dill pickles, diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 c grated sharp cheddar
- 4 whole hamburger buns
- 1 stick butter
- Brown the meat, then add the ketchup, mustards and bbq sauce. (taste as you do, I added more of most except the ketchup, and feel free to change up the mustards to what you prefer–jalapeño mustard could be awesome!) Continue cooking until meat is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, take your buns (or use bread if you wish) and cube it up. Melt about 1/2 of the butter in a saute pan and add the cubes and brown, adding more butter as needed until the bread is all crispy and browned into croutons.
- Dice up your other veggies and cheese. I put them in bowls on the table to you can build your own salad
- Tear up the lettuce and place on the plates. Build your cheeseburger, your way!
- Cheeseburger Muffins (themagnoliacafe.wordpress.com)