Not on grass silly.
No, on finger foods and buffets of lovely appetizers.
And there is a Super Bowl coming up.
So I made these last Sunday, and they were darn good. See if you agree:
- 1/2 recipe of my basic southern biscuits
- 1/2 c of my basic pizza sauce
- 1/2 each of diced onion, green pepper, and mushrooms
- 12 pepperoni slices
- 4 oz mozzarella shredded
- Mix the biscuit dough together as directed and then instead of pressing out, roll it with a pin until about 1/4″ thick. Cut out with cutter 12 rounds. Place each in a greased 12-cup cupcake pan. (NOTE: you may of course buy store-made biscuits in the tube which will work perfectly well)
- Saute the onions, peppers and mushrooms in a bit of oil until mostly done
- Place a tsp of pizza sauce (also can be a store-bought variety you like) in the center of each dough round.
- Place a pepperoni slice on each.
- Place a tsp or so of veggie toppings on top of that.
- Finish off with a tbsp or so of mozzarella on each
- Place in a 375° pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and the edges of the biscuits are lightly browned.
Note: The toppings are whatever you like. A Mexican version could easily be made, or sausage used, or different cheese. Also this recipe doubles or triples with ease. The biscuit recipe (1/2) will make about 18 thought just made 12. I had enough dough left to roll out again and give a good six more.
- Portobello Mushroom “Pizzas” (thedailymeal.com)
- Pizza Cups: An easy twist on an old favorite (holykaw.alltop.com)