I don’t recall how old I was before I first saw a sweet potato casserole covered with tiny marshmallows. It looked good. I thought I had been missing something. So I dug in. And yech. . . .not for me.
No, I’m one of the strange minority who doesn’t like my sweet potatoes struggling to overcome brown sugar and maple syrup and honey, and candy canes for all I know.
I like it savory. I grew up eating them like baked potatoes, with butter and salt and pepper.
Okay, so I’m a bit more sophisticated, and I’ve taken this up a level or two, and it’s a bit more than just old sweet potatoes.
Give it a look and give it a try and see what you think.
- 6 sweet potatoes, cooked and peeled and mashed
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1/2 c sweetened condensed milk
- zest of one orange
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2/3 c chopped pecans or walnuts
- Either mash by hand and then add rest of ingredients, except the nuts, or throw it all in a mixer and mix until incorporated.
- Just before it goes in the oven (this can be done a day ahead) put the pecans on top. Cover and bake in a 350° oven for 45-60 minutes.
- NOTE: if you are warming other things in the oven, it’s fine at 325° for an hour.
- Moist Chiquita Banana And Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)