Don’t start. I know this is so grade school, so 50’s. But it holds fond memories for me. It was the salad my mother made for Thanksgiving or Christmas, and it subs as dessert. And those holidays were the best when I was a kid.
What is more to the point, is that it is utterly adaptable to whatever fruit or nuts you like.
Explore the jello aisle, pick your poison, and then hop over to fruits and go wild. Mix and match as the holiday dictates or the tummy yearns for.
This is kid-friendly, and you know you sophisticated types sneak it when nobody is looking. So indulge!
- 2 3 oz boxes of jello of your choice
- 1 pt. vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup fruit of your choice
- 1/2 c nuts of your choice
- 1 c miniature marshmallows
- Dissolve the jello in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Add the ice cream and melt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place in fridge for about 45 minutes. Take out and stir (it wants to separate)
- Continue to do this until it starts to thicken.
- Add the rest of your ingredients.
- Stir. Place in a mold if you desire. ( I never bother)
- Place in fridge until set.
- lime jello, pineapple, walnuts
- cherry jello, cherries, almonds
- orange jello, mandarin oranges, pecans
- peach jello, peaches, walnuts
- tropical jello, mangos or papaya, macadamia nuts
- clear jello, strawberries and blueberries, walnuts
- raspberry jello, raspberries, almonds