While the Black Magic Cake is a great cake that you can whip up in no time, this cake is elegant and perfect for special occasions.
The picture denotes it as a three-layer, but it is a two. Make sure you use the Howl and the Moon Chocolate Frosting with it.
- 4 oz unsweeted chocolate (4 squares)
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 3/4 c flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c milk to which has been added 1 tsp vinegar
- 4 eggs, + 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 12 Tbsp butter softened
- Take the first 4 ingredients (choc’s H20 and sugar) and place in a double boiler, melt the choc, stir until combined and let cool.
- Add the dry ingredients together (flour, soda, salt) and whisk together. Add the vanilla to the milk in a separate container.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy in a mixer. Add the cooled chocolate, add the butter, mixing on low, and then add the flour mixture and milk mixture alternatively until all is incorporated.
- Divide between 2 floured cake pans and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes and remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely. Frost when cool.