Frankly, I’ve never see it anywhere else. Which doesn’t mean nobody makes it.
But I couldn’t find a really good picture. This is a decent approximation.
It’s truly comfort food for me. But I love bacon, and I love tomatoes, and I love pasta. So that accounts for that.
If you like these things, then this is a quick easy recipe you can make in the morning, and let sit all day. And heat up and finish off in less than 30 minutes.
- 1/2 lb bacon, cut into 1 in pieces
- 1 quart of tomatoes, (4 cups) chopped (canned or fresh)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups cooked macaroni
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp pepper
- Cook the bacon about half way through and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Cook the onion until translucent and softened.
- Add the tomatoes and return the bacon to the pot.
- Add salt if needed and the pepper.
- Simmer on low for about 30 minutes, and shut off.
- About an hour before eating, cook the macaroni, and drain.
- Add it to the tomatoes and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Check often, as the macaroni can suck up the juice. Add water to keep it wet.
** For me the real key here is the pepper. I usually add even more at the table.