Well, okay, I don’t, but I love Italian food and I try to make it as authentic as I can.
This recipe comes directly from Joy of Cooking and having made a huge number of their recipes, usually they are terrific. This one is wonderful.
I’ve looked around the inter-tubes and not found another than sounds better. The only thing I have added is a couple of cloves of garlic, since I can’t imagine Italian anything without garlic.
This is a hugely rich sauce, so it pairs well with a good simple salad with a vinaigrette and some great crusty bread rubbed with garlic and some olive oil. Enjoy. And don’t forget lots of great Parmesan cheese to grate over it!
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 1 oz pancetta diced (optional)
- 1 lg carrot minced
- 2 stalks celery minced
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, micro-planed
- 1 1/4 lb ground beef
- 3/4 c beef or chicken stock
- 2/3 c white wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (see tips and tricks for saving the rest of the can)
- 1 1/2 c whole milk
- Saute the pancetta until it releases its fat and then add the onion, celery and onion. Saute on medium until the onions are translucent.
- Add the meat and garlic and cook until browned well.
- Add the stock, wine and paste. Cook for 2 hours until it has reduced to a thick sauce, adding the milk in 1/3 c increments every 30 minutes or so until used up.